Tracking pixel
Photo of someone using a hand rail

Aids and adaptations

Sometimes, to improve your safety, health and wellbeing, your home may need to be adapted or have extra aids fitted to make your life easier. You'll find details of how to go about this below.

Minor adaptations

We want our tenants to live independently and safely in their homes for as long as possible. If you or someone in your home has an illness or a disability, you might find it more difficult to manage safely and could benefit from extra help or adaptations.

Some adaptations can be requested without an assessment by an Occupational Therapist (OT) and are called minor adaptations. Examples of these are:

  • Key safes
  • Grab rails
  • Shower seats
  • Bannister rails
  • Lever taps
  • Security lights

To request these:

If you live in St Helens area you should contact St Helens Council on 01744 676767 to request these.

If you live in Liverpool or Warrington areas you should contact Torus directly on 0800 678 1894.

Major adaptations

For major adaptations we will not process these as a request and you will need to be assessed by an OT. These adaptations are for people who have difficulty accessing bathing facilities, managing stairs, or accessing other areas in their home – for example kitchens, or front / rear doors with steps. Examples of major adaptations are:

  • Wet rooms
  • Stair lifts
  • Door widening
  • Ramps
  • Ceiling track hoists
  • Through floor lifts
  • Extensions

To request these:

If you live in St Helens area you should contact St Helens Council on 01744 676767 to discuss the difficulties you’re having and a referral for assessment will be made.

If you live in Warrington you should contact Warrington Borough Council on 01925 444239.

If you live in Liverpool you should contact Careline on 0151 2333800 (for adults) and 0151 2333700 (for children).

After assessment if recommendations are made for changes to your home, a report will be sent to Torus and an assessment will be completed to determine whether the work will be approved. Factors which will be considered will include whether your home can be altered, if another property would be more suitable.