Torus services: We are continue to experience a high demand for repairs, resulting in longer waiting times for non-emergency repairs.  We are working hard to fix this, apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Duplicate Rents issue (17 May): Post Office, PayPoint & online secure Internet rent payers - we are here to help if you are struggling find out more here

Homes for Ukraine Scheme: Information for Torus customers considering offering a room in your home to a Ukrainian refugee – more.


Benefits and Money Advice

What is housing benefit?

If you’re on a low income or out of work, you could get Housing Benefit to help pay your rent.

Housing Benefit can pay for all or part of your rent, depending on your circumstances.

Who can apply?

You can apply for Housing Benefit if you’re unemployed or working.

What you’ll get

How much you get depends on:

  • Your eligible rent (this is the amount of rent you pay, including service charges for communal facilities or lifts for example)
  • If you have a spare room (this will reduce your housing benefit by 14% for one spare room and 25% for two)
  • Your household income including benefits, pensions and savings over £6,000
  • Your circumstances, for example the age of people who live with you or if someone has a disability
  • If you’re affected by the LHA Cap
  • If you’re affected by the Benefit Cap

  Make a claim for Housing Benefit 

Benefit Cap

The Benefit Cap limits the amount of benefit people between the ages of 16 and 64 can get. This may mean that your Housing Benefit is reduced.

The benefit cap amount for our area is:

  • £384.62 per week (£20,000 a year) if you’re in a couple, whether your children live with you or not
  • £384.62 per week (£20,000 a year) if you’re single and your children live with you
  • £257.69 per week (£13,400 a year) if you’re single and you don’t have children, or your children don’t live with you

Find out more about the Benefit Cap.

How you’re paid

Housing Benefit is paid by St Helens Council  directly into your rent account.

If the amount of Housing Benefit you are paid does not cover the full cost of your rent, it is your responsibility to pay us the shortfall.

In some circumstances, you may be able to claim a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

How to make a claim

If you’re making a claim only for Housing Benefit you need to apply to your local council.

If you’re claiming Universal Credit, help towards your rent known as Housing Costs, will be included in your payment. You are responsible for paying your rent to us.


Check mark in a speech bubble

Benefits and Money Advice

House with speech bubble containing a question mark

Rent & Payments

Adjustable wrench with an exclamation mark

Repairs & Online Services

House with heart in the middle

Our homes